Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 1996 11:32:41 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        branson@longstreet.larc.nasa.gov (Branson Matheson)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network Printing...

Branson Matheson stands accused of saying:

> I have lots of PC's here that print to a single netowrk printer. They
> tend to print lots of pages that contain one or two lines and the only
> reason that they are printing them in the first place is for paper
> record (Yes they are still in the stoneage ;-) What I would like to do
> is simple yet it doesn't work.. I want to configure that network
> printer with a filter ( somthing like a2ps that puts two pages on one
> ) and allow them to print to my machine using samba or lpd and then I
> convert and set it to the printer.. I have not found any unique way to
> do this .. any idears?

Depends on how flashy you want to get.  It sounds awfully like they should
really be journalling stuff and then printing the journals, rather than
being that wasteful.

Does the resultant output _have_ to be one page per record?

Anyway, to answer your original question, assuming you have installed
apsfilter correctly, here's a snippet of smb.conf file for Samba that
lets you print : (assuming the printer you want is called 'lp2':)

BJ]
        printable = yes
        path = /tmp
        public = yes
        read only = yes
        allow hosts = 10.0.,203.20.121.
        comment = Auto-sensing BJ230
        printer = lp2
        browseable = yes

[global]
        hosts equiv = /usr/local/samba/lib/hosts.equiv
        map archive = no
        password level = 2
        security = user
        browseable = no