Date:      Thu, 5 Mar 2020 15:25:31 -0600
From:      Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange outcome: different outcomes from portmaster and pkg upgrade

On 3/5/20 6:24 AM, RW via freebsd-questions wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 21:09:41 -0600
> Paul Schmehl wrote:
>
>> I normally build my ports using portmaster. ( Old habits die hard.)
>>
>> Recently, I've been having problems with a handful of ports failing
>> to upgrade. So, I've been fixing those ports by using pkg upgrade.
>>
>> When I run portmaster, it says I have three ports to upgrade. When I
>> run pkg upgrade, it says everything is up to date.
> Presumably your packages are up to date with the repository, but not
> the ports tree.

The ports tree is updated daily through a script in /etc/periodic/daily.

[root@colo11 /usr/home/schmehl]# cat /etc/periodic/daily/190.portsnap
#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/portsnap cron
/usr/sbin/portsnap update

I just ran it manually, but it didn't update any of the affected ports.

# portsnap update
Removing old files and directories... done.
Extracting new files:
/usr/ports/astro/xearth/
/usr/ports/audio/libebur128/
/usr/ports/devel/Makefile
/usr/ports/devel/py-cle/
/usr/ports/devel/py-minidump/
/usr/ports/devel/py-rq/
/usr/ports/dns/knot2/
/usr/ports/emulators/nemu/
/usr/ports/graphics/pastel/
/usr/ports/graphics/tiled/
/usr/ports/lang/erlang-runtime21/
/usr/ports/mail/ssmtp/
/usr/ports/math/acalc/
/usr/ports/net-mgmt/cacti-spine/
/usr/ports/net-mgmt/ping_exporter/
/usr/ports/net/py-cloudscraper/
/usr/ports/net/storj/
/usr/ports/sysutils/dua-cli/
/usr/ports/www/riot-web/
/usr/ports/x11/libwacom/
/usr/ports/x11/sddm/
Building new INDEX files... done.

But portmaster still finds ports it wants to update:

===>>> The following actions will be taken if you choose to proceed:
     Upgrade cups-2.2.12 to cups-2.2.13
     Upgrade gnutls-3.6.11.1 to gnutls-3.6.12
     Upgrade ffmpeg-4.2.1_4,1 to ffmpeg-4.2.2_7,1

===>>> Proceed? y/n [y] n

And pkg does not.

# pkg upgrade gnutls
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
Your packages are up to date.

Except for ffmpeg.

# pkg upgrade ffmpeg
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
The following 4 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):

New packages to be INSTALLED:
     aom: 1.0.0.2873
     dav1d: 0.5.2_1
     opus: 1.3.1

Installed packages to be UPGRADED:
     ffmpeg: 4.2.1_4,1 -> 4.2.2,1

Number of packages to be installed: 3
Number of packages to be upgraded: 1

The process will require 10 MiB more space.
18 MiB to be downloaded.

Proceed with this action? [y/N]:

--

Paul Schmehl, Retired