Date:      Mon, 13 Feb 2012 13:20:55 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Why won't 8.2 umount -f?

On 02/13/2012 13:02, Doug Barton wrote:
> Is there some magic I'm missing to convince an 8.2 system to umount -f?
> I had an NFS server crash, so I'm trying to get the mounts updated. All
> of the 7.x systems happily did 'umount -f', but the 8.x systems (mostly
> 8.2-pN) are just hanging forever.

... and it gets worse. I just 'shutdown -r now'ed one of my
less-critical 8.2 systems, and it hung for several minutes after "All
buffers synced." After a power cycle it came back, but the buffers
weren't actually synced because it's still fsck'ing some pretty large
file systems.

What the heck?

--

	It's always a long day; 86400 doesn't fit into a short.