Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2012 13:33:02 -0500
From:      Jim Bryant <kc5vdj.freebsd@gmail.com>
To:        Matt Thyer <matt.thyer@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ESCape codes displayed instead of processed in pager

Matt Thyer wrote:

> On Mar 29, 2012 5:18 AM, "Jim Bryant" <kc5vdj.freebsd@gmail.com
> <mailto:kc5vdj.freebsd@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > Ever since I have upgraded to 9-stable, I have noticed that the
> manpages seem to be munged up with displayed instead of processed
> ESCape codes.
>
> I believe that this is due to the terminal type of the console
> changing from "cons25" to "xterm".  If you fix your /etc/ttys to
> reflect this things should be OK.

 1:27:57pm  argus(19): tty
/dev/pts/7
 1:28:03pm  argus(20): setenv TERM xterm
 1:28:05pm  argus(21): man man
MAN(1)                  FreeBSD General Commands Manual
MAN(1)

ESC[1mNAMEESC[0m
     ESC[1mman ESC[22m-- display online manual documentation pages

same thing going on.  that's after switching every vty and the console
to xterm in /etc/ttys as well.

i'm kinda lost on this one.  i have determined that somehow, it's the
pager...  hang on a sec... lemme try vi.

vi seems to be working properly...  it's not the termcap/terminfo...
the only thing causing this seems to be more and less, both.

when i pipe man into cat, everything gets properly interpreted by the
tty/vty/pty, when i use the pager, i get this crap....argh..