Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 01:22:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Jacques Fourie <jacques4i@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel stack size?

:
:Would it be possible to pre-allocate a block of memory
:and then "switch" stacks in my interrupt routine? This
:may be far off, but my only other option is going
:through ~10000 lines of code and examining all places
:where local variables are declared. If I could somehow
:do this in a different way, it would really help a
:lot.
:
:regards,
:jacques

    I think you are stuck.  I would transplant most of the code into
    a user level process and have the interrupt and device driver
    just deal with getting the data to and from the user process.
    You can theoretically increase UPAGES in /usr/src/sys/i386/include/param.h
    but I dunno if that would work, and it would increase the size of
    every kernel stack for every process in the system.  I get the
    feeling that your code eats more then just a few kilobytes of stack.
    It doesn't sound like something that belongs in the kernel.  The
    only other choice would be to rewrite the code into a form suitable
    for the kernel's smaller stack.

					    -Matt