Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 95 11:44:53 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        jkh@freebsd.org (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        jkh@freebsd.org, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, phk@freefall.cdrom.com, mark@grondar.za, wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Crypt code summary(2).

[ ... Merge crap ... ]

> Arrogance really didn't enter into it, and it's really overly
> simplistic of you to think that it did.  These are volunteers here
> Terry, in case you've forgotten.  You can't get the Moose Lodge to
> meet every saturday for drinks and socialization if they all hate one
> another's guts.

If it's a business, and the people involved are employees, you can get
them together; money is a powerful motivator.

All you are really saying here is that there was insufficient motivation
(money or otherwise).

It was not my intent to travel this road again, so I'm going to stick
my fingers in my eyes and hum until we get to the rest of the message.

> Oh, I don't doubt that you're thinking of jumping in, I'm just a
> little tired of the continued "I'm coming in soon!  I am!  How's the
> water?  Cold?  Should I wear the bathing cap?  If I toss in a
> thermometer, would someone mind reading the temperature to me?  Does
> anyone see any snapping turtles sitting on the bottom?  You know, this
> reminds me of another water hole I used to use back during my salad
> days at RAND, why we used to gather 'round every Sunday and..."

Humerous.

At the end of July, I want to commit semantic changes to the mount
system call, some areas of the file system code in each file system
type, and all user space file system utilties.  This is not "thinking
of jumping in", this is a date.

I need an architecture specific subdirectory (ie: shared between hosts
of the same cpu type) where I can put a subdirectory containing file
system utilitites usable in single user mode.

If you care about seperating file system types by whether or not you
can use them in single user mode, I will need another directory that
serves the same function and which is also searched, assuming the file
system containing it is mounted.

I was thinking of /sbin/fs/ and /usr/sbin/fs/.

At the same time, I want to reorganize the file system portion of the
kernel source tree.  Specifically, I want to rename the ufs directory
to vfs.

I want to move iosfs, miscfs, msdosfs, and nfs into this directory.

I would also like to move the vfs specific portions of the kern/*
files into the vfs directory, preferrably at the vfs/* level rather
than as a subdirectory.

Comments?

> > Meanwhile, Sean has seen one pre-release game of several, and everyone
> > on the FreeBSD Core and XFree86 mailing lists at least had opportunity
> > (even if they didn't exercise it) to see the first Alpha of Mimic, my
> > Motif library clone.
>
> Now c'mon, Terry.  You're reaching for straws now.  I did grab it and
> I saw that it wasn't anywhere near "there" enough for anything I'd
> want to use Motif for (e.g. compiling any sort of reasonably sized
> Motif-dependant software) so I went back to other things.  Don't get
> me wrong, I know that everything's got to start somewhere, but you
> must admit that Mimic wasn't even really ALPHA by a long shot.  ALPHA
> is a version of fully functioning software that may or may not have
> significant bugs and is perhaps missing some functionality around the
> edges.

Excuse me.  Apparently you didn't look very hard.  The code was sufficient
for compiling and linking any Motif program using the documented Motif
1.2.x interfaces, period.  As stated in the release notes, the library
itself was intentionally disabled, although it would, in fact, as it
was distributed, allow you to run several O'Reilly and Young book
examples.

The only ftpable things that wouldn't compile were two "public domain"
widgets, obviously written with Motif source in one hand and a pencil
in the other, and "moxftp", which used an undocumented interface to
build an XmFontList in two places because the author didn't want write
his own code, and manifest constants in several others because the
author was (apparently) too lazy to use (caddr_t) casts like he was
supposed to for _XtInherit.

> BETA is supposed to have the missing holes filled in and a few
> less bugs.  RELEASE is supposed to have the last (known) bugs worked
> out and be as featureful as was planned for that release..  To release
> a credible Motif clone, you need to at least have fairly significant
> coverage of all the standard and commonly used primitives and header
> files, and Mimic doesn't even come close.

Nice to know that you examined it so carefully without submitting *any*
feedback on it (until now, and I still don't know what sources you used
so I could go, get them, and make them work).

> You seem to have this need to work in a corner and occasionally come
> out in a loud blare of trumpets and a cry of "follow me, men!" when it
> would seem far more practical to work a little more in the open light
> of day and let other people have a chance to actually see and
> PARTICIPATE in the day-to-day progress of a project.

I have asked for host space for several projects.  I have plenty of space,
but it is not net connected and is pretty damn useless for that sort of
thing, you'd have to agree.  FreeBSD has the luxury it has because of
freefall.cdrom.com and freebsd.cdrom.com.  Before that, it had the
ref.tfs.com machine.  Until I have the same luxury, I'll code on the
hardware I have available, and if it doesn't have anonymous FTP into it
like the hardware available to you, well, that's too bad.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.