Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 2001 19:03:20 +1300
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        "Akinori MUSHA" <knu@iDaemons.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, knu@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gzip and cvsweb.cgi

On 30 Jan 2001, at 14:35, Akinori MUSHA wrote:

> Hmm, this reminds me of the transparent HTTP proxy issue.  I suspect
> an HTTP proxy server is between your box and www.FreeBSD.org and it
> had a cache of the former page and didn't for the latter.

I initially thought it was a proxy issue, and pursued that.  But wasn't
able to find anything concrete.  It also doesn't explain why the
/~checkout~/ option gave different results.  This problem occurred
suddenly.  I checked with a friend at the ISP in question. FWIW, he
said they had made no proxy changes in months.

> If that is the situation, cvsweb.cgi may have to add a header field
> "Pragma: no-cache" or "Expire: ..(soon).." for such proxies that cache
> even a CGI output. (But that applies to most CGI programs...)

The no-cache or expires in 1s is better for situation such as what I'm
trying to do.  At present, FreshPorts seems to be happy with
/~checkout~/.  But I would like to know more.

thanks.

--
Dan Langille
pgpkey - finger dan@unixathome.org | http://unixathome.org/finger.php