Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 23:44:32 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, alk@pobox.com, gary@eyelab.psy.msu.edu, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On hub.freebsd.org refusing to talk to dialups

> >"He who would trade liberty for security, deserves neither."
> >                                                 -- Benjamin Franklin
>
> The correct quote is:
>
> "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
> deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Thanks.  I was quoting from a fortunes file.

> The use of port 25 is not "essential" so long as a mail server is
> provided, nor is it "essential" to be able to receive e-mail sent directly
> from other ISPs' dial-ins. Freedom from spam brings INCREASED liberty, not
> less. It makes life more productive and pleasant, and assures that ISPs'
> resources aren't abused, which is a very good thing, IMHO. Your mileage
> may vary, of course.

This really has little bearing on the point that I was attacking, which
was your statement that "Ah, but they're not draconian. Our membership
overwhelmingly favored them.".  A majority does not the definition of
"draconian" make; "draconian" is based on the action, not how favorably
the action is received among a sample group.

You also seem to be implying that I am somehow "pro SPAM".  To my
knowledge, I am the only person whose email address was removed from
Sanford Wallace's CDROM of email addresses, for my perserverence in
following through on the dictum that "to SPAM me is to lose a relay".
It costs more money in lost relayability than you could ever hope to
get, even if I were stupid enough to buy the product you are SPAM'ming
me about.  I also made it a point to contact, in writing, the people
employing his services to make the point I would not recommend their
products, under any circumstances.

In one year, I volunteered over 700 hours to help secure open
SMTP relays.  This as opposed to trying to get those relays into the
ORBS or the RBL, or to get their dialup lines into DUL.  In short, I
engaged in a hell of a lot more constructive (and effective) behaviour
than most people have been advocating in this thread.

> >Not to mention that they will become inoperational in the face
> >of IPv6 stateless autoconfiguration.  What will you do then?
>
> I haven't looked into the issue of what IPv6 might mean to the DUL or
> RBL. However, I'm sure that Paul Vixie is. (I wouldn't mind learning
> more about the topic myself, as I certainly don't want to give up either
> facility when I move to IPv6.)

Paul has advocated that reverse addresses not be automatically
assigned to such addresses which result from IPv6 stateless
autoconfiguration.

Others have advocating a huge administrative infrastructure that
would result in such addresses being firewalled from sending packets,
with explicit stateful configuration.

The IPv6 working group (actually IPNGWG) has, understandably,
opposed both of these positions.  See:

	http://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng/html/ipng-main.html

for detailed information on IPv6.

Note that Paul's approach would not stop SPAM via the DUL, but
would rather stop it by the reverse lookup returning an error,
instead of returning a valid reverse mapping, as a side effect.

Most people I've discussed this with (in the DNSIND, DNSOP and
DNSSEC working groups) tend to agree that if a host has a valid
IP address that is not specifically administratively prohibited
from being routed, that the DNS server owning the delegation for
the block in which the address resides should allow a DNS update
to reflect the machines desired host and domain name.

The point is, short of firewalling all such addresses, there is
no way to prevent their assignment in an IPv6 network.  This was
an intended design goal of IPv6.  Once assigned, the DNS server
owning the delegation for the block in which the address resides
is _OBLIGATED_ to provide a reverse mapping, if it allows packets
originating from that address to be routed off the network.

A correct way of implementing security in the case of deciding
whether or not to route packets would be to query the home name
server for the machine, and see if the clients certificate was
signed with the home servers private key, and if so, allow the
entry.

Either way, even if you accept the nightmare of administration
associated with trying to control everything that it's possible
to control (perhaps if someone was so anal retentive that if
we shoved a lump of coal up their arse and came back an hour
later, we would find a diamond), you really can't implement IPv6
and not allow such updates, if you allow routing at all.

The classic case is a laptop from "visitor.com" in an IR-equipped
conference room at "example.com" getting an IPv6 address, and
wanting a reverse assignment as "laptop01.visitor.com" instead
of "visiting-laptop38.example.com".  Maybe it needs this to get
a VPN connection to access a common installation of "PowerPoint"
for a presentation in the conference room; the reason is really
irrelevant, so long as there is one valid reason which people
may want to do this (and I can think of dozens, including that
"example.com" doesn't want administrative responsibility for the
laptop from "visitor.com"'s actions).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---