Date:      Mon, 7 Oct 1996 23:04:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        bsdscsi@shadows.aeon.net
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: striping/mirroring?

 * From: mika ruohotie <bsdscsi@shadows.aeon.net>

 * > If you want to maximize sequential access, you'll need about 6 or 7
 * > disks to stripe across them, you'll get to about 28 MB/s with the
 * > option "I586_FAST_BCOPY".  For random access, you'll need more like 30
 * > drives through the filesystem to max out the motherboard.
 *
 * ok
 *
 * only 28 mb/s? isnt it possible to get more speed?

That's because there is one memory-memory copy that we can't avoid as
long as we go through the filesystem.  (Since the memory copy speed is
80MB/s and DMA I/O seems to run at around 60MB/s, we should
theoretically be able to get something like 1/(1/80 + 1/60) =~ 35 MB/s
but I guess there are some overhead too.)

Satoshi