Date:      Fri, 25 May 2001 14:47:04 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PAM, S/Key and authentication schemes.

On Fri, 25 May 2001 14:42:40 +0200, Mark Murray wrote:

> I have already tested this on my home cluster with su(1) (I just
> made su a PAM-only thing), and this makes the code a whole lot
> simpler. Simpler code == safer code.

I think that the real win here is that we come out with a FreeBSD that
uses a flexible authentication management system that requires once-off
learning that can then be applied to the configuration of policies for
multiple tools.

Of course there are other benefits.  One is the ease of implementation
of new authentication schemes that, once deployed, are immediately
available in all the appropraite tools).

I think where you're going with this is excellent.  What's your
anticipated time frame for getting what we have today rationalized?

Ciao,
Sheldon.