Date:      Sat, 17 Oct 1998 17:40:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Huff <rhuff@cybercom.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Walnut Creek CDROM resellers and their FreeBSD profits...

>  As mentioned by Jordan in his 3.0-R announce notice, the profits
>  from sales of FreeBSD CD sets from Walnut Creek CDROM go to
>  support the FreeBSD Project.
>
>  Does anyone know if the same is true of FreeBSD CD sets brought
>  from their resellers?

	Any profit the reseller makes is theirs to keep.  However,
consider:
	At a time when the single unit cost of FreeBSD from Walnut
Creek was $40, and the subscription price $25, the local retailer
price was also $25.  Walnut Creek has said direct-order prices are
deliberately inflated so users will have a reason to seek out their
local resellers.  (And you can tell the approximate production costs
from what Cheapbytes charges.)
	I'm on the subscription plan.  (Though I did skip 2.2.7 in
anticipation of 3.0.)  I pay the $25 )plus shipping, etc., and
figure I've gotten a good deal even if all the profit goes to Walnut
Creek.  But I know some of it goes to FreeBSD, Inc. and that makes
me even happier.

			Robert Huff