Date:      Sun, 30 May 2004 16:31:23 +0900
From:      Rob <stopspam@users.sourceforge.net>
To:        Brian Rogers <burpmaster@truffula.net>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Attache USB flash drive

Brian Rogers wrote:
> Rob wrote:
>
>> Brian Rogers wrote:
>>
>>> umass0: PNY Attache 2.0, rev 2.00/2.00, addr 2
>>> umass0: BBB reset failed, TIMEOUT
>>> umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, TIMEOUT
>>> umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, TIMEOUT
>>

>> I've seen similar problems on one of my 4-stable PCs.
>> Not being an expert on USB stuff, I googled a bit around and
>> came to the conclusion that the VIA 83C572 USB controller is
>> the reason of the problem. You also have that one.
>> Mounting my USB mass storage toy as a umass device works fine,
>> however, unmounting it hangs/freezes the whole system.
>>
>> Another 4-Stable PC of mine has an Intel 82801BA/BAM (ICH2) USB
>> controller, and that works like a charm.
>>
>> If, by any chance, you've got another FreeBSD PC that has an
>> Intell (or any other than VIA) USB controller, you may also
>> see it work there.
>>
>> I haven't tried all this out with CURRENT, but I guess it has the
>> same problems.
>

> I just tried booting off the FreeBSD 5.2 install disc on my system.  No
> crash on removal, but I do get the same three repeating error messages
> and still no device appears in /dev.  Then I tried this boot disc on an
> Intel (440BX) machine.  No error messages, but still no /dev entry.  I
> must be seeing both an old VIA-related 4.X bug and a newer 5.X bug where
> the device doesn't appear, which recently can also trigger a crash.
>
> Did you say that you can mount the filesystem, and it freezes when you
> unmount it?  What happens if you just unplug the device after plugging
> it in?  I don't have a way to mount it, but unplugging the device
> crashes my system.

Can't verify this, since I have ditched the USB mass storage toy
already (borrowed it from a friend to see whether USB works on
my FreeBSD PCs, with mixed results as you know).

If I remember well, it is a no-no to unplug the device without
first unmounting it. Unless you use amd for this, maybe.

BTW: there seems to be very little response to these problems on
the mailinglists. Either only few people have these problems
(problems only rise with specific USB controllers?), and/or it
has not a high priority fixing.

Cheers,
Rob.
Rob.