Date:      Tue, 05 Oct 2010 02:18:27 -0700
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        Alan Cox <alc@rice.edu>
Cc:        alc@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Panic: attempted pmap_enter on 2MB page

Alan Cox <alc@rice.edu> writes:
> There are two pieces of information that might be helpful: the value of
> the global variable "kernel_vm_end" and the virtual address that was
> passed to pmap_enter().

I'm afraid I don't have enough experience with this debugger to get
these values with offhand commands. I could trial and error my way
through figuring it out, but I'd rather get the data you expect. :)
If you could give me the commands to do this, I'd be happy to type
them in and get a response to you.

> Is this problem reproducible?  I don't recall if you mentioned that
> earlier.

Sort of.

It seems that everytime I generate a bootable FreeBSD ISO, a die is
rolled.  If it comes up a certain number then it crashes, otherwise it's
fine. ;)

My ISO generation process might be relevant; I create a 600MB ramdisk
(it used to be 512 on FreeBSD 7.3) which loads from the ISO on
boot. This winds up being the root partition.

As a datapoint the same die roll happens on FreeBSD 7.3 although the
chance of working seems to be greater.

If you'd like a copy of the ISO to see this for yourself I can make it
available. I'm guessing it will also crash for you in this way modulo
hardware issues.
--
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

The treasure house within you contains everything, and you
are free to use it. You don't need to seek outside.