Date:      Thu, 5 Oct 2000 15:06:13 -0400
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        Jim Mock <jim@lust.geekhouse.net>
Cc:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD Magazine (Advertiser Responses)

On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 11:59:48AM -0700, Jim Mock wrote:
> I just talked to Greg Croy from IDG -- he was the editor handling
> FreeBSD for Dummies.  He said that IDG doesn't have any interest in
> publishing FreeBSD for Dummies anymore because they don't have enough
> confidence the market is large enough to ensure it's success.  In other
> words, their risk is too great :-(

I've had this same experience dealing with publishers about my FreeBSD
book.  The most interested party wound up turning me down in favor of
another FreeBSD beginner's book.  The beginners' market is quickly
filling up with contracted books.

There's a slew of publishers who are willing to publish *advanced* BSD
books, if you can write both device drivers and documentation.

Personally, I've given up on pushing a BSD book until I can saturate
the market with articles and become too large a force to resist.  And
there's a *long* way to go until then.

==ml

--
Michael Lucas