Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 19:14:29 -0300
From:      Capriotti <capriotti@geocities.com>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?=22Ricardo_Manuel_N=FA=F1ez_Chirino=22?= <rinunez@telcel.net.ve>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: About FreeBSD and Samba as a big server

Saludos, Ricardo.

At 05:51 PM 4/18/98 -0400, Ricardo Manuel Núñez Chirino wrote:

>2) What if I use Samba??? Would it be a stable file server and print
>service server to 150 machines running Windows NT Workstation (still being
>a pop mail server)??

Regarding your question about Samba, yes, it will be VERY stable and VERY
fast. Faster than NT itself, not to mention stability.

I can't tell you about how fast it will actually be, since my experience is
limited to small groups only, but reading email is not that hard - provided
your users don't send one each other 5MB files every hour.

Samba will also run fina with your configuration, for most office
applications. I mean that, if you intend to use this HW  for LucasArts,
while thy are preparing a sequence of takes, it wont be good enought, but
considering normal levels of work around the offices, yes, it will be good
enought.

www.cdrom.com and ftp.freebsd.com have a configuration close to that, and
serve up to 3000 hits/day (is that right ?), maybe more, w/o much loss.

I hope it was of any help.

If not, write to us again.