Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 2002 18:20:44 +0400
From:      Dmitry Agafonov <aga@rsm.ru>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need instructions:  build kernel on one machine;  install on another

Steve Peterson wrote:
> Hi -- I'm looking for a pointer to instructions on how to take a kernel
> built on one machine and install it on another.  I checked the handbook
> and the FAQ to no avail, and did some searching of the mailing list that
> came up empty.  I've built & installed kernels using "make buildkernel ;
> make installkernel", so I'm not a total newbie to kernel building.
>
> If the answer is to go and look at the "installkernel" target in the
> makefile, I can handle that, but wanted to check with the list to see if
> there's anything I should be paying attention to.
>
> I'd be happy to take whatever I get in terms of instructions and write
> it up as a FAQ entry.

We have compiled kernels (make buildkernel KERNCONF=LALALA) on one
machine, and then after nfs-mounting /usr/src and /usr/obj to target
machine - make installkernel KERNCONF=LALALA
This works fine and is very good for poor-cpu/ram machines :)

The question still remains - can one build a number of kernels and
then install them? This will save some time on updating a number
of machines: 3 steps (cvsup'ing and world and kernel(s) building)
may be fully automated.

Is anybody thinking of UPGRADE.sh script :)

--
Dmitry Agafonov