Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 1996 17:55:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Chuck O'Donnell" <chuck@bus.net>
To:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: > 80x24 ?

On Tue, 26 Mar 1996, Darren Reed wrote:

> In some mail from sos@FreeBSD.ORG, sie said:

> > > is anyone looking at making FreeBSD boot into a text resolution greater
> > > than 80x24 ?  I sorta miss 132x60 in Linux...
> >
> > No, unless somebody comes up with a way of programming each and
> > every videocard around the globe...
>
> In the back of my TSeng booklet, it tells you how to set the card for
> anything beyond 80x24 in assembly:
>
> * place 0 in register AH to indicate "select mode" function
> * place the mode # in register AL
> * execute an INT 10h instruction
>
> and down the bottom it mentions that this is the standard BIOS interface
> for video mode select.
>
> Linux has some table of the things, and before it did this, it would
> somehow "probe" the card and give a (not complete) list of available
> modes.
>
> Hmm, now, what's the problem ?
>
> darren

Tseng (and ATI) support a wider range of extended text modes than most,
including 132 X 60.  But not all cards support extended text mode, and the
value required in AL when invoking INT 10h, 00h varies from card to card
for the ones that do.  I'm not sure how you could test for the correct
value...

Regards,
Chuck