Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 1999 23:17:46 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        jay d <service_account@yahoo.com>, Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: multiple machines in the same network

"Rodney W. Grimes" wrote:

> I already said to put the switch on it's own router port with full
> and correct filtering.  I see a lot of people replying to ``put them
> on thier own segment''.  Now I am not sure if they mean put each individule
> customer on there own segment, or to lump them all togeather on one segment.
> My model was to put them all on one switch, with that whole segment of
> the network seperated and protocted in both directions from any of the
> ISP's and Internet stuff via a router with filtering capability.  Putting
> 2 customers on any one segment is always a bad idea, it allows either
> to compromise the other easily by simple tcpdump style sniffing.
>
> The customer per router port is probably the most secure model, even
> more secure than a VLAN switch and single filtered router port, it is
> also the most expensive model.

Ah hell, just buy a switch/router and get the whole mess in one box.  If you
buy the RIGHT one, you can get your wide area/internet link AND your firewall
all in the same box.  Anyone who thinks a router provides more security than
a VLAN switch doesn't understand how VLANs work.

http://softweyr.com/                                           wes@softweyr.com