Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 1995 12:54:28 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        bob@obiwan.pmr.com (Bob Willcox)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: aic7xxx Adapter support

>Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
>>
>> I just commited a sweeping change to the aic7xxx sequencer code.  This
>> should fix the "device busy" problems that were reported with micropolis
>> drives as well as make the card respect devices that win arbitration
>> (there were cases that it would miss seeing the sucessful arbitration
>> of another device and force re-arbitration - yuck!).  The changes were
>> tested on wcarchive which has drives from seagate, quantum and micropolis,
>> so its hoped that this wont break anything, but if it does, I'd like
>> to hear about it before 2.0.5 is released.  So, if you use one of these
>> cards, please try out the new driver.
>
>Justin, I tried the latest kernel (from this mornings CTM) on my 2740
>and Exabyte 8200 tape drive.  I dumped one of my filesystems to the tape
>and everything was going fine till it got all done and rewound the tape.
>At that point I go the following sequence of messages on the console,
>followed by a system hang (no panic, just hang):
>
>ahc0: Target Busy
>ahc0: Target 6, lun0 (st2) timed out
>ahc0: Target 6, lun0 (st2) timed out
>ahc0: Target 6, lun0 (st2) timed out
>ahc0: Target 6, lun0 (st2) timed out

When was the last time you updated your kernel before last night?  I'm
just wondering if you had run a kernel with Peter's tape drive fixes
prior to last night.

Other questions... How long does it take for your tape to rewind.  Do
you have disconnection enabeled for the tape drive and all other
targets?  Can you also enable the "AHC_DEBUG" defing in aic7xxx.c and
see if you can reproduce it.  I might get some diagnostic output that
will help me understand what went wrong.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
TCS Instructional Group - Programmer/Analyst 1