Date:      Sun, 2 Jul 2006 00:57:15 +0200
From:      Lars Balker Rasmussen <lars@balker.dk>
To:        Aaron Dalton <aaron@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-perl@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Perl Ports and 'make test'

On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 02:09:31PM -0600, Aaron Dalton wrote:
> I did a quick search of the mailing list archives and didn't see any
> postings on this matter (which surprised me actually).  Is anybody
> working on a way to incorporate Perl's 'make test' procedure into the
> port building framework?

To move on a tangent to this:

There's a problem with dependencies - ideally cpan-modules would introduce
the possibility of installing without testing, and splitting dependencies
into run, build and test.

For some of my ports, a LOT of modules get pulled in, which have no other
purpose than to support a test-suite we don't run.  I've considered patching
their {Build,Makefile}.PL to not require these modules, but it'll take a
lot of work...

A similar split of run/build/test in ports could be helpful, but without
cpan doing the same, we'd probably not get anywhere fast.

(Blame erwins beer for this stream-of-consciousness, and good night :) )
--
Lars Balker Rasmussen                                        Consult::Perl