Date:      Tue, 1 Feb 2011 08:29:23 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        Lawrence Stewart <lstewart@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bz@freebsd.org>, Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org>, net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bogus KASSERT() in tcp_output()?

On Monday, January 31, 2011 9:40:09 pm Lawrence Stewart wrote:
> On 02/01/11 04:17, John Baldwin wrote:
> > Somewhat related fallout to the bug reported on security@ recently, I think
> > this KASSERT() in tcp_output() is bogus:
> >

> > 	KASSERT(len + hdrlen + ipoptlen == m_length(m, NULL),
> > 	    ("%s: mbuf chain shorter than expected", __func__));
> >
> > Specifically, just a few lines earlier in tcp_output() we set the packet
> > header length to just 'len + hdrlen':
> >
> > 	/*
> > 	 * Put TCP length in extended header, and then
> > 	 * checksum extended header and data.
> > 	 */
> > 	m->m_pkthdr.len = hdrlen + len; /* in6_cksum() need this */
> >
> > Also, the ipoptions are stored in a separate mbuf chain in the in pcb
> > (inp_options) that is passed as a separate argument to ip_output().  Given
> > that, I would think that m_length() should not reflect ipoptlen since it
> > should not include IP options in that chain?
> >

> There is some relevant prior discussion on src-committers@ for r212803
> between Andre and Bjoern.

I still don't see where ipoptlen bytes are reserved in the mbuf chain.  After
this block where 'm' is allocated and initialized:

	/*
	 * Grab a header mbuf, attaching a copy of data to
	 * be transmitted, and initialize the header from
	 * the template for sends on this connection.
	 */
	if (len) {
		m->m_len = hdrlen;
		if (len <= MHLEN - hdrlen - max_linkhdr) {
			m->m_len += len;
		} else {
			m->m_next = m_copy(mb, moff, (int)len);
		}
	} else {
		m->m_len = hdrlen;
	}

The length of the mbuf chain headed by 'm' is clearly hdrlen + len.

At no point anywhere do we do any sort of m_prepend() or other operation to
allocate space in the mbuf chain for the IP options.  They are merged in in
ip_output().  I think the only reason this KASSERT() isn't firing in HEAD is
that IP options are rarely used?

Is there an easy way to test a connection with IP options enabled with this
KASSERT() enabled?

--
John Baldwin