Date:      Sat, 10 Apr 1999 20:12:03 +0100 (BST)
From:      Steve Roome <steve@snuggly.demon.co.uk>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: YMF719 - configuration hell!

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> > > kind of known problem -- the yamaha has some extra registers for
> > > overall volume setting which are not handled by the driver. In fact there
> > > is some code which deals with such registers on the YMF711/715 (i think
> > > -- i am using them on the libretto) but just sets them to max volume.
> >
> > Aha, but it doesn't seem to actually set it to max, something more like
> > 50% I think.. I'm not too sure about this though.
>
> probably it only works for the 711 and the 719 has volume registers
> elsewhere.

As mentioned, I might have a datasheet forthcoming from Yamaha, I'll keep
you informed if you're interested.

> > > you mean the commercial one ?
> >
> > The old one that used to be the default in /usr/src/sys/i386/isa/sound,
> > or perhaps a newer version, this appears to be VoxWare 2.9 on 3.0-Release.
>
> that one is so old and unmaintained, it does not know of any new card.

But with pcm not working for quake etc. something needs to be sorted out
with the sound. (Although I realise that this requires someone, probably
you, to spend time on it, and that not everyone has 50 hour days and wants
to spend all their time working on FreeBSD!)

> > /kernel: How strange... mss_intr with no reason!
>
> that's a message of the _new_ driver (pcm).

Sorry to get things confused, too much chopping and changing between
drivers I think!

> > I've emailed the guy who maintains the documentation at yamaha to see if I
> > can get one. Could be handy, although I'd not rate my chances of getting
> > it to work even with the datasheet very highly either though =)
>
> not really, usually you need a very little bit of info (register
> location and meaning...) to make things work.

Well, if the datasheets arrive I'll see what I can do, it would be nice to
actually manage to do something of use for once I think!

Thanks,

	Steve