Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 1995 09:34:11 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        A.C.P.M.Kalker@student.utwente.nl
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, multimedia@rah.star-gate.com
Subject:   Re: Sound driver in 2.1 / 2.2..

> Yep, when I as much as start compiling a kernel, it starts to stutter.
> But anyways, I can use X reasonably well under FreeBSD. Back in my L.n.x.
> days I would have as much as to touch my mouse to make it lose its breath :-)

Well heck, I'm spoiled..  :-) With /dev/dsp2 I can run a full make
world with a couple of other background jobs and my usual full
1152x900x24 X server with netscape, emacs, fvwm and a whole host of
other things running and not miss a beat..  I have about 40Mb of
MPEG2 music that I play as background music while I work, you see,
so for me maplay is more than just a cool app, it's my jukebox! :-)

Oh yeah, guess I should also 'fess up and admit that I do run maplay
with `rtprio' to run it at real-time priority.  It doesn't effect the
interactive "feel" of the system at all, but it does prevent annoying
skips when I switch virtual screens in fvwm or otherwise do something
that might steal a cycle or two away from it.  Works great!

					Jordan