Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2002 00:09:35 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: splitting files for DOS floppies

On 2002-02-24 13:08, Sue Blake wrote:
> I need to send some large (2-4MB after zipping) binary files on
> floppy disks to a typical home user of MS-DOS in a remote area.
>
> How can I split these files up into smaller chunks to fit
> the floppies, in a way that will allow the user to stick
> them back together under MS-DOS 6.2?

You can use the -b option of split(1) to split in byte-sized chunks.  Then,
when you send the files to the MSDOS user, the COPY command can be used
with the /B option to join the parts:

	C:\> COPY /B FILE.AA+FILE.BB+FILE.CC FILE.ZIP

This will join (this is what the + is all about) FILE.?? and write the
output to FILE.ZIP.  If you want to get funky, you can ship the disks with
a batch file that does exactly that, and is called JOIN.BAT :)

Don't ask me how I know about the /B option of COPY :P

Giorgos Keramidas                           FreeBSD Documentation Project
keramida@{freebsd.org,ceid.upatras.gr}      http://www.FreeBSD.org/docproj/