Date:      Mon, 24 May 1999 22:26:22 +1000 (EST)
From:      jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
To:        taavi@uninet.ee (Taavi Talvik)
Cc:        freebsd-hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Best way to mirror FreeBSD ftp archive?

> It's quite grazy to see gigabytes of files removed and aftewards
> refetched..

ditto.  i am still trying to find out if there's a list somewhere
that actually sends out changes to the ftp site - e.g releases
and snapshots and ports trees just "appear" for me - and i've
not had any responses in email or via the list about this, so
either people don't care, or i'm the only person affected by this.

sigh.

> Are there tools similiar to CVSup for mirroring ftp.freebsd.org
> and allowing to specify parts of directory tree to include/exclude?

rsync, omi, fmirror.  you can use CVSup for part of the freebsd tree.

we can't use CVSup currently due to billing/access control hassles -
can anyone comment on how to mirror the cvsup tree without using
cvsup ?

> Are there any documents describing which part of archive is
> "stable", which parts is changing say "weekly" or changing "daily".

i'd *love* to know this.  from what i can see, *nothing* on the
archive is stable.  everything from releases to packages can be
rebuilt or moved around.  there was some discussion when the tree
structure changed slightly, but it was very minimal.

FreeBSD is currently the most `expensive' archive to mirror for us
(probably between $25,000 and $50,000 a year in traffic bills) and
it barely breaks even on download rates - it would cost a lot less
with more warnings and less changes :-(

-jason