Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 21:47:26 +0400
From:      "iNDiAN" <indian@pcbtech.ru>
To:        "Dave" <mudman@R181172.resnet.ucsb.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Only an ftp account

> How would I be able to give an account to someone where they can only
> login and use FTP?  Shell interpeters, sendmail, and virtually all the
> other parts of the system should not be at their disposal.

what ftp daemon? it depends. but in general -- user w/o shell would be
accepted by, for expamle ProFTPd. Obvious he/she has no way to login.

> How does one accomplish the creation of such a 'ftp-locked' account?
>
> I've heard some discussion about jails, but man jail(1) and jail(2) only
> talk about freezing a process, so I think this might not be the solution I
> need.

jails are just too much powerfull techniquez. In case of just ftp-only
account you don't need it.

"JH said once -- everybody stay cool. He didn't reproduced it 'cause there's
no need. That's enough -- his life is a picture."

Oleg
PCB Technology,
Moscow, Russia