Date:      Sat, 24 May 2003 20:16:21 +0800
From:      Robert Storey <y2kbug@ms25.hinet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   bad kernel fried motherboard???

I've been offline for a few days because it seems my motherboard is fried=
=2E I'm=20
sending this message from another machine.

The really WEIRD thing - I had just recompiled a Linux kernel, then reboo=
ted,=20
got a "kernel panic". Tried rebooting again into single-user mode, but ke=
rnel=20
panic again. Next attempt to reboot into the old kernel, but this time=20
nothing at all - no video, the motherboard just died.

My question - is there any possibility that a misconfigured kernel could =
harm=20
the hardware? Or is it just a strange coincidence that "kernel panic" was=
=20
followed by real hardware failure?

Sorry, I know this is off-topic, it was Linux not FreeBSD, but I'm still =
sort=20
of dazed.

regards,
Robert