Date:      Sun, 24 Nov 2002 01:24:10 +0100
From:      "Pascal Giannakakis" <capm@gmx.net>
To:        "Dan Nelson" <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        "Liquid" <liquid@liquidonline.ca>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <swear@attbi.com>
Subject:   Re: Find abandoned packages

> In the last episode (Nov 21), Pascal Giannakakis said:
> > > If you check out /var/db/pkg it lists what ports are installed
> > > essentially.  I don't know how to tell whether or not it?s a
> > > dependency
> > > though, so maybe someone else can answer that.  I'd like to know that
> > > too come to think of it.
> >
> > pkg_info or pkg_version - would be quite the same in this situation.
> > What i need is an intelligent programm that finds old stuff, and best
> > even offers a yes / no dialog to uninstall it.
>
> Lots of packages don't have dependencies because they are standalone
> programs, like "netcat".  You probably don't want to prompt to
> deinstall those.

Yes, that is what i want. On my system there aren't a lot of packages, and
usually i know which i installed. The solution to my original problem is
very easy - i found it by accident, when i was reading docs out of boredom
and curiosity! :)

pkg_deinstall -rn *portname*

-r will show all packages that require *portname* to be installed
-n will prevent pkg_deinstall from actually performing the actions

It may also be run with -Rn instead of -rn to find what packages *portname*
needs to run. Yet this does not show a list, i still need to pick the port
manually out of the pkg_version or pkg_info list. Though better than
nothing.