Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2012 15:16:23 +0200
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        x11@FreeBSD.org, danfe@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Proposition to make nvidia driver stop overwritting files

--J/dobhs11T7y2rNN

Hi,

I would like to propose a way to make nvidia drivers stop overwritting files
namely libGL.so.1 and libglx.so.

Why stop overwritting files is important to me? first pkgng do not support it in
fact is forbid it for sake of consistency and integrity of the installed
package.

second if you upgrade libGL after having the nvidia drivers already installed
your drivers will stop working as expected Unless you are going to manurally
reinstall the drivers.

That is for the rationnal now the proposition.

I have modified rtld so that libmap.conf is now aware of 2 new directives:
include and includedir this is in current and have been MFCed into 9 no MFC to 8
planned for now as it depends on previous modifications of rtld which were not
MFC to 8 yet.

What I would love to see is: nvidia drivers no more installing libGL.so.1 and
libglx.so files but instead of that install libGL-nvidia.so.1 and
libglx-nvidia.so.1

And same for every single library possibly overwritten by nvidia

For FreeBSD version not supporting include{,dir} in libmap.conf, add an entry to
libmap.conf to map libGL.so.1 to libGL-nvidia.so.1 etc.
for FreeBSD version supporting those directives just make sure that includedir
${LOCALBASE}/etc/libmap exists if not add the line.

and add a nvidia.conf file into etc/libmap with the mapping in it.

I'm aware of the move of the old libGL and libglx  in the @exec @unexec, this
isn't sufficient and it still break the consistency of the installed packages
database.

regards,
Bapt

--J/dobhs11T7y2rNN