Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 21:06:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        "Daniel M. Eischen" <eischen@vigrid.com>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Threads

No context here, because I want to ask another question regarding the
proposals, but it's context is too stale to repeat.  I've finished reading
the SA paper, and one question bothers me.

It looks like the kernel is making upcalls into the UTS.  It further looks
like there could be multiple copies of the UTS active, either because of
multiple processors, unsynchronized process swaps of processes with UTS's
that are active, and upcalls coming in before a previous upcall can clear
the UTS.  I did see that the UTS is required under SA to be re-entrant
(obviously) but I didn't see any synchronization requirements on the UTS
specified, and it does look like it would need some global state that
would need protection.

Did I miss that part of the paper?

Chuck Robey                | Interests include C programming, Electronics,
213 Lakeside Dr. Apt. T-1  | communications, and signal processing.
Greenbelt, MD 20770        | I run picnic.mat.net: FreeBSD-current(i386) and
(301) 220-2114             |       jaunt.mat.net : FreeBSD-current(Alpha)