Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2001 08:19:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DoS attack - advice needed

"Antonio Carlos Pina" <apina@infolink.com.br> wrote:
>Source quench is supposed to be needed but is bad (big security risks). Yo=
>should avoid it.

Source quench is bad?  Could you elaborate?

Also, what is the difference between an ICMP flood and a TCP
or UDP flood?

This topic comes up in comp.protocols.tcp-ip from time to time and
the common wisdom recommends allowing icmptypes 0,3,4,8, and 11.
I have not yet seen a good reason not to allow these icmptypes yet
posted to this forum.

--=20
Roger Marquis
Roble Systems Consulting