Date:      Fri, 20 Nov 1998 18:43:22 +0100
From:      "D.A. Griffioen" <dagrif@wxs.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Installing FreeBSD

Dear sir,

I have a rather big problem installing my new cd-rom copy (Walnut Creek)
of FreeBSD 2.2.7: the computer locks up after booting when probing
(booted from floppy - made from the cd-rom or downloaded, cd-rom - from
BIOS or with ms-dos driver, ms-dos partition; with ervery option I could
think of).

When I skip the Kernel-config everything gets nicely detected, but the
computer locks up at the end, after probing scd0 (the sony cd-rom) When
I configure (all devices conform manufacturer's default), computer locks
imidiatly after "save config: Y".

I have a :

Pentium 200Mhz MMx,
Asus P55T2P4 board,
Samsung cd-rom (scr-1231),
Adaptec 1510B SCSI with a Matshita CD-R CW-7501 (properly detected)
TELES BRI 16.3 ISDN card,
Sound blaster compatible,
one EIDE hd - a Samsung as sec slave with the Samsung cd-rom as master,
- and a Seagate UDMA hd as prim master,
PS-2 mouse - properly detected as an Intellimouse ( and printer, scanner
etc etc ).

When I try to build the kernel with:

DEV    IRQ    PORT

aic0      11       0x340
fd0         6       0xf30
scd0                0x230
wdc0    14       0x1f0
wdc1    15       0x170
lpt1         7
sio1        3        0x2f8
psm2     12       0x60

the computer locks. Everything works fine in DOS, Windows 95/98, Redhat,
Slackware, Turbo and Debian LINUX.

So what's my problem???? The ATAPI Samsung cd-rom??

I'm at a loss here so if you could help me, I would very much be
obliged.

Yours sincerly, Dirk Griffioen

Spankeren
The Nethterlands