Date:      Tue, 20 Oct 1998 14:49:33 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Paul Stewart <pstewart@kawartha.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0 Upgrade Question

Paul Stewart wrote:

> On a side note, we have several machines running on 122597-SNAP releases.
> They are running just fine except I can't compile UCD-SNMP on them which
> is now needed.  So, I was thinking of updating them to 3.0-RELEASE.  Am I
> playing with fire again?  I can't take these machines offline for a long
> period of time.  Can I CVSUP them to the newest kernel trees and remake
> the kernel?  Is this a safe practice?

If you mean run a 3.0 kernel with a 2.2.7 utils/bin tree? - No, that's asking
for trouble... It would brake lots of things like ps etc. just for starters...
(If that is what you meant?)

> As you can tell, I'm not used to upgrading these machines.  They run
> currently like a dream but I don't want to fall a LONG ways behind in the
> current kernels...:)

Until a couple of months ago, our main production boxes were all running
2.2.2... We've upgraded them to 2.2.7 (mainly to get better pppd support) -
they won't be going anywhere fast for a while either... When we took them down
they both had uptimes well into the 350+ days :) - I guess with stuff this
reliable it's easy for boxes to get out of date until you either find a
problem - or want something they can't do (in 2.2.2, but can in 2.2.7 etc. ;-)

If you really need UCD-SNMP (which I'll confess I don't really know what it is
- some sort of snmp daemon/service?) - maybe someone can come up with a way of
compiling it on 2.2.7 - unless it's really kernel dependant :(

Regards,

Karl