Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 1995 22:59:40 +0400 (MSD)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= aka "Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage" <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, Terry Lambert <terry@cs.weber.edu>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, harry@hgac.com, jkh@violet.berkeley.edu
Subject:   Re: dial up at > 9600 baud

In message <9507241827.AA07622@cs.weber.edu> Terry Lambert writes:

>This is really my whole problem with rc.serial, which could probably
>be argued for on the basis of CTS/RTS flow control, and maybe nothing
>else.

>It should be irrelevant what the new port speed is if the modem can't
>detect it.

>The current discussion is predicated on the modem being somehow able to
>detect it.

>The default baud being 9600 is not the problem.  The modem being able
>to "magically" detect the baud which the port is set to *is* the problem.

>The only way to solve this thing is to find where the error is in the
>driver or in the getty or in the modem cable or in the modem settings
>and correct it.

Terry, you seems to miss a bit of discussion: situation is
pretty clear: modem inherits speed of previous access, if
it isn't configured to reset by DTR drop.
It means that any dialout application which change speed
becomes getty-killer.
There is no error in the driver or in getty.
Solution for it already exists:
1) Configure modem to gettytab speed and issue AT&W.
2) Configure modem to do ATZ on DTR drop.

If we allow modem to not do ATZ on DTR drop, more complex
things will be involved in driver and getty, namely:
1) Driver must issue "AT" command at first open
to give modem chance to sense speed.
2) driver must restore dialin speed in close and issue "AT"
command to give modem chance to sense speed.
3) getty must setup initial device with gettytab speed
for #1 & #2 will be successful.
Doing "AT" commands in the driver not nice thing, of course.
--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -