Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2012 15:14:26 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        "Simon L. B. Nielsen" <simon@freebsd.org>
Cc:        re <re@freebsd.org>, freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>, Ken Smith <kensmith@buffalo.edu>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 9.1-RC1 Available...

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 2:52 PM, Simon L. B. Nielsen <simon@freebsd.org> wr=
ote:

>> * RIght now you can mirror
>> svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/{stable/9,release/9.1*,etc} to your laptop,
>> and Simon is setting up a US-east coast and US-west coast mirror.  You
>> can easily switch your mirrors on the fly if there's a closer/faster
>> one.
>
> Real world got in the way, but they should be ready by Friday or Saturday=
, and will be documented in the Handbook.

> On a side note, the svn part of one mirror had to be re-created a few day=
s ago as svnsync gets very unhappy if you pull the power while it's running=
 (we had a PSU die). There seem to be a fair chance your local repository g=
ets corrupted enough in that case that svn just gives up. Not that it's a b=
ig problem, but is a bit annoying.

> We (clusteradm) are working on getting an EU mirror up, but no timeframe =
yet.

>> You can do your own personal svnsync all the way from rev 0, but it
>> takes some time.  It's more time efficient to start with a seed and
>> let it catch up.
>
> And if people are wondering, some time is really some time. The original =
ports mirror took ~24h to create - and that was over the LAN. Don't do that=
 yourself unless you feel like doing a latency test of your internet connec=
tion :-).

You'll also find out very quickly how much fsync(2) hurts on a softdep
or su+j system.  The svn fsfs backend does a fsync multiple times per
revision to guarantee its transaction boundaries.

There's a reason why I wrote nofsync.ko for these scenarios.  Back
when I did the first mirror for making a seed, it was the difference
between what was shaping up to take about 12 hours vs what ended up
taking 25 minutes with nofsync.ko + noatime + full async + no softdep
+ no softdep+j.

--=20
Peter Wemm - peter@wemm.org; peter@FreeBSD.org; peter@yahoo-inc.com; KI6FJV
"If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete
themselves upon execution." -- Robert Sewell