Date:      Sun, 11 Jun 2006 22:24:32 +0100
From:      dgmm <freebsd01@dgmm.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Long Shot - MSN Group chat room access

On Sunday 11 June 2006 16:34, Nikolas Britton wrote:
> On 6/11/06, dgmm <freebsd01@dgmm.net> wrote:
> > On Sunday 11 June 2006 03:49, Nikolas Britton wrote:
> > > I forgot about Konqueror :-) I just tried spoofing msn chat with
> > > Konqueror and it worked, well I got to the front page at least but I
> > > don't have an msn account so I can't test it any further. In Konqueror
> > > simply goto Settings > Configure Konqueror... > Browser
> > > Identification, and then click on "New...". set it to
> > > http://chat.msn.com and use "Internet Explorer 6.0 on Windows XP".
> >
> > She can get into the the relevant groups page and access all the features
> > there except for the live chat room.  Closer inspection looks like it's
> > all ActiveX stuff so that's most likely the problem.  I tried as you
> > suggested but Konqueror crashed :-(
>
> Spoof as Firefox 1.0/1.5 on Windows 2000 / XP.
> Spoof as NN4 / NN6 on Windows 95 / 98.
> Spoof as IE4 on Windows 95 etc. etc.
>
> It must be assuming you have ActiveX because your identifying yourself
> as IE6/XP...

It appears to be more complex than either of us thought :-(

I tried various useragent strings in Konqueror and the nearest I got was a
blank chat page with no warnings.

I've now also tried putting an IE5/Win95 useragent string into
general.useragent.override in the about.config page of FireFox.

This fooled msn completely but didn't do me any good.

We are now downloading MSN Chat software.

If a Security Warning box like this appears, please click its Yes button to
complete the download.
NOTE: If you click No, you will not be able to chat.

The download is in progress
It takes approximately 2 minutes.
(using a 28.8k modem)

Of course, nothing downloaded, and even if it had, well it ain't gonna work.

I've got Wine compiled now so will see what I can do with that.

--
Dave