Date:      Sun, 06 Feb 2000 21:24:23 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
Cc:        Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, Haikal Saadh <wyldephyre2@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: Choice of display cards under freebsd.

On Friday, 4th February 2000, Chris Dillon wrote:

>On Fri, 4 Feb 2000, Stephen McKay wrote:

>> Last time I dabbled, it was with one of the early Quake3 tests
>> and it worked fine on the Voodoo2 and the Linuxulator.  Maybe my monitor
>> is naturally brighter.
>
>I run FreeBSD on my system 99.9% of the time, but when I do want to
>play a game, I just boot Windows.  I don't think any amount of monitor
>brightness would help my situation in FreeBSD, though, since I cranked
>mine all the way up and could still just barely make things out.
>Most of the time I'd have to fire off a rocket just so I could see the
>explosion.

Have you tried setting r_gamma to, say, 1.5?  Or 2.0?  It looks OK on
my gear with the default 1.0, but maybe I'm lucky.

>> Despite the limitations, a cheap Voodoo2 will be easier to get working
>> for Linuxulator games than any other card, and will do OK until proper
>> OpenGL support arrives for better cards.
>
>Probably, since it is a separate piece of hardware.  I actually
>wouldn't mind finding an extra 12MB Creative VooDoo2 so I can do SLI
>(at least in Windows, if not FreeBSD).  I don't suppose you've got any
>pointers to documentation on setting up the Linuxulator for stuff like
>Quake2?  Especially the mouse, since that seems to be a significant
>hangup for me.  I haven't tried in a long time, so maybe the latest
>GLide stuff would fix my gamma problem.

I can't remember whether Quake 2 was good or bad on my gear.  I think I've
changed disks since then so all experiments have been lost.  But I've just
verified that Q3test 1.05 still works, all default settings.  Colour fine,
sound fine, mouse fine.  I didn't do anything clever, I just set it up
according to a post on freebsd-multimedia and it worked.

Martin Cracauer is a Quake on FreeBSD expert, and also Steve Reid posted
about his success with Quake3 on the G200.  Search the multimedia list.

Stephen.