Date:      Sat, 1 Jul 2000 13:22:30 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        TEWisdom@cs.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hi!  Bunch of newbie questions

TEWisdom@cs.com said on Jul  1, 2000 at 03:28:57:

> *Where's a good mailing list or newsgroup to start asking stupid questions
> about C/C++?

Don't know -- but there are lots of good Unix-oriented books
available.

> *Can I install FreeBSD on my computer, and switch back and forth between it
> and Windows when I need to?  How would this be done?

You can.  (You have to reboot to "switch back and forth".)  See the
installation instructions on the FreeBSD web page.

> *Do I need to install a UNIX platform, such as Free BSD, to use a C/C++
> compiler?  If not, how would I use such a thing on Windows?

You can pay money to Microsoft or others; or you can try the Cygwin
package (http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/) which includes windows
versions of the GNU compiler tools, which are the tools used by
FreeBSD, Linux and others.  I don't know of any other free compilers.

> *Of these different compilers, can someone tell me what  good (free) c++
> variant they might reccommend?  I hear that Borland is really easy to use
> (from the Borland website, so I take this with a grain of salt), is there a
> free variant that is as easy?

All compilers are equally easy.  You're probably looking for an
"integrated development environment" which includes compiler, editor,
debugger, point-and-click code generators etc etc merged together.
There are such things for unix too, which basically give you a front
end to command-line compilers like gcc and debuggers like gdb.  I
haven't used them but I've read good things about kdevelop
(http://www.kdevelop.org).

> *Are there any good, free tutorials written for newbies (on any or all of the
> subjects above, 'cept for HTML--I've got that one licked) that I might be
> able to use? (I already know 'bout the ones on the FreeBSD site, and I'm
> looking through them)

Try the HOWTO's at http://www.linuxdoc.org -- not all of it may be
directly applicable to FreeBSD, but quite a lot is.

Rahul.