Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 19:44:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Matt Heckaman <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        Justin Wolf <jjwolf@bleeding.com>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Displacement of Blame[tm]

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
: I really don't want to rehash THAT debate.  I wouldn't mind a little
: brain-storming to see if we can come up with a better format for the
: subjects, but I don't want to start back at square one and debate
: every aspect of this all over again. In fact, the main reason I
: haven't wanted to ask about the format of subjects was because I was
: afraid we WOULD end up debating the entire topic all over again.

I don't think the debate is really about whether we should do advisories
or not, I think all would agree that advisories are good. The question is
how to hammer it into the general public's heads that it's not a FreeBSD
hole per se? Take this wu-ftpd exploit, it's hit just about everyone, and
what two names do I see beyond anything else? RedHat & FreeBSD. As if no
one else was effected by it.

I realize it's most likely a losing battle to try to change that kind of
mentality, but I can't help being somewhat bothered by it. I guess it's
doubtful that changing the subjects would fix anything, though I do think
it could use a little work, per my last mail. I sometimes wonder if making
the field that says "FreeBSD specific: [YES|NO]" a little more prominent
wouldn't hurt...

Personally, I love advisories about ports, keeps me from accidently
missing some exploit that I hit 'D' too quickly over when topic-scanning,
and in several cases, various environment modifications have rendered the
exploit unusable on FreeBSD. That's great!

Though, I wonder why we send FreeBSD-Port specific advisories out to a
forum like bugtraq, where the non-FreeBSD users will say "Huh? Port?" or
"FreeBSD root!" - I would hope that those who use FreeBSD track -security?
Or more to the point, why would a FreeBSD user track a list like bugtraq
but NOT -security? It's almost like saying "I care about general security,
but who cares about the security of the OS I use".

Now, since I'm sure someone else will do it, I'll debunk myself by
replying, "Well, they could simply know that all FreeBSD advisories will
end up on bugtraq, so there is no need for the extra -security traffic". I
suppose that would work for some, but it doesn't work for me. Just an
opinion though. I have my views on how they should look and be handled,
but I think this is a no-win situation for all involved that will just end
up making Jordan's fingers hurt more.

: ---
: Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
: Senior Systems Programmer          or  drosih@rpi.edu
: Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

* Matt Heckaman   - mailto:matt@lucida.qc.ca  http://www.lucida.qc.ca/ *
* GPG fingerprint - A9BC F3A8 278E 22F2 9BDA  BFCF 74C3 2D31 C035 5390 *