Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 1998 09:34:44 -0400
From:      "Hartong" <hartong@erols.com>
To:        "Tim Gerchmez" <fewtch@serv.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: My verdict on 2.2.7...

Tim,

If you have EVER done ANY software development and testing ( which by your
comments I sincerely doubt), you would know that it is impossible to do
comprehensive testing to eliminate ALL bugs.  A developer simply does not
have the ability to divine EVERY possible set of actions that a user will
take, nor do they have EVERY possible configuration of equipment that a user
will utilize.

Developers rely on users to provide detailed feedback on what doesn't work
so they can recreate the problem and how to figure out how to fix it.
Simply whining about a problem without being willing to document it is
nothing more than a total abdication of responsibility as a simple end user,
let alone some one who claims to be a "casual hobbiest".  If you claim to be
a "hobbiest", then researching and documenting problems does give you
something- an improved understanding of the O/S and it's functions, improved
programming and improved testing skills, and improved communication skills
when you convey the detailed nature of the problem to others.

If all you can do is whine, especially about something that you got for
free, without being part of the solution rather than a hindrance to it, then
go else where.  I for one, will not be sorry to see you leave- in the past
three months all you have done is chew up the bandwidth, insult others with
your demands, and give logical reasons to make people who might be able to
help others more inaccessible to the all of those who are willing to work
with them. Having been in both the Linux and FreeBSD communities, I doubt
that your behavior will be tolerated by many people in the Linux community
either.

Mark