Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 21:26:53 -0600
From:      "Eric MaLossi" <emalossi@flash.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   installation problem

Hi,
I'm trying to install a new copy of v4.4 that I just bought.  I'm having
problems completing the installation.  I've done the following three times.

1. selected the "Skip Kernel Configuration" option
2. selected "Standard installation"
3. created a 1GB slice on a blank 5G IDE drive
4. set the slice bootable
5. selected a standard MBR
6. selected auto default partitions
7. selected "Install All components"
8. selected "Install from CDROM"
9. confirmed installation

Within 5 seconds the following msg is received:
A signal 11 was caught.  I'm saving what I can and shutting down.  If you
can reproduce the problem, please turn Debug on in the Options menu for the
extra information it provides in debugging problems like these.

I have to suspect that the CDROM is not being accessed as I never hear it
spinning up.  However I watched as the Kernel was configuring itself and it
does seem to identify the device correctly, SONY CDU571?

I'm not sure, nor can I find any information in the book on how one goes
about turning on debug for the installation.  I don't see that as an option
on any of the screens.  How should I best proceed?

Another problem that I am hitting is that if I don't accept the "Auto
default partitions" and instead delete the /var and /usr partitions and then
create a new /usr partition using the full space available, I will never see
the Distribution menu, rather it will jump straight to the Installation
Medium menu.

Thanks
Eric MaLossi
Austin, TX