Date:      Sat, 29 Jul 2000 09:06:48 -0400
From:      Dan Flemming <danflemming@mac.com>
To:        James Gorham <jgor@veldt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0-Install / Bad HD?

James Gorham wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I've been trying to install 4.0-Release via CD Rom onto a pentium
> 166/32 MB with a Samsung IDE hard drive. The installation would go
> fine for awhile, and towards the 'src' installations (installing the
> developer release) it begins to drop significantly in it's transfer
> rate. I blamed it on a number of things and swapped CD Roms, fussed
> with cabling, etc. etc. Finally, I changed the tty2 session to watch
> the files being copied, and when the transfer rate would slow down,
> I'd get an error along the lines of:
>
> ad0 Hard Read Error blk#4414127 Status=59 Error=40

How big is the HD?

> I'm assuming this means there's a bad sector or such on the hard
> drive. Is there anyway for the installer to detect this and mark it
> as unusable, or any workaround at all?

I think you're right, it does mean a bad sector. As far as I know,
FreeBSD will _not_ install to a drive with bad sectors.

One possible solution might be to go to DOS, create a large number of
partitions (say, 10MB each), run SCANDISK on each of them, and then
delete each partition which has no bad sectors. Then, install BSD in the
empty space, leaving the bad sector partitions in DOS. This is a nasty
kludge though. :)

> Please respond if you have any ideas, like many, I need to get this
> machine up and running ASAP.

A better solution, of course: Buy a new HD. Samsung sucks for reliability.