Date:      Sun, 01 Sep 2002 08:32:21 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
Cc:        Dominic Marks <dominic_marks@btinternet.com>, Kris Kirby <kris@catonic.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

Dave Hayes wrote:
> Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> writes:
> > But it's a much less useful example for the purposes of this
> > discussion, since once the prject started building on the atol
> > to the point that it had something sticking out of the water
> > full time, the United States Government paid the Tongan Navy
> > to sail out and plant the Tongan flag on it, claiming the
> > land for Tonga.
>
> This does expose the fallacy of the assertion to "go find an
> island somewhere if you don't like it"...by -your- own rules
> even. ;)

Not really; it just changes the order of purchase for the items
you put on your shopping list.

I'd like to think I would have been more clever, and called it a
"ship at anchor", and paid my Liberian taxes like a good ship
owner, until I could have fended off the Tongan navy.  But there
are hundreds of other possible approaches to tackling the problem,
which boils down to giving an authority what they ask for, instead
of what they want, and relying on a large autonomic feedback delay.

I presume you know "The Barometer Story"?

-- Terry