Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2001 09:22:25 +0900
From:      shudo@computer.org
To:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jdk1.3.1 awt exception, plugin, OpenJIT

Fuyuhiko and Mikhail,

> but now I
> can reproduce the problem Mikhail met (java.awt.AWTException: cannot
> open XIM), so I will try to fix it as soon as possible.

I don't think the exception which says 'cannot open XIM' is not a problem.

> It means that XOpenIM failed.  For locales that Xlib locale-dependent
> functions are capable, XOpenIM fails only when current locale needs
> XIM server to input text in the language specified by current locale
> *AND* the XIM server isn't available.  This is the case can be happen
> in Chinese/Japanese/Korean environment.

The AWTException also appears on Linux. Both Sun and
Blackdown JDK 1.3.1 show the exception in case that the
environment variable 'XMODIFIERS' is set but XIM server
is not running.

On Linux, I set the XMODIFIERS as '@im=kinput2' but do
not run the kinput2 input server. The exception appears
when a Java program needs text input for the first time.
I just ignore the exception and the program runs fine.

The exception doesn't appear if I ran the input server
or unset the XMODIFIERS.

  Kazuyuki Shudo