Date:      Sat, 20 Oct 2001 03:41:40 +0200
From:      Marko Zec <zec@tel.fer.hr>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fxp driver - receive interrupt bundling

Mike Tancsa wrote:

> At 03:16 AM 10/20/2001 +0200, Marko Zec wrote:
> >It doesn't matter how many fxp cards you have installed - if your box acts
> >as a
> >server than most probably you can leave INT_DELAY at default value (Intel
> >proposes 0x600, but I think 0x400 would be more appropriate).
> >
> >If you use your multi-fxp-card BSD box as a router, than the microcode will
> >impose additional delay *twice* (once in each direction), so in that case the
> >default value of 0x600 might be too high for achieving full 100 megE
> >throughput, because of TCP windowing scheme having to wait for ACK frames,
> >which will be held in fxp receive buffers too long. On the other hand, setting
> >INT_DELAY too low minimizes the benefits of bundling interrupts, as fewer
> >received frames get "bundled" on a single interrupt.
> >
> >To summarize: if you are doing any routing (or bridging as I do), find the
> >best
> >value for INT_DELAY for your specific environment experimentally, it should be
> >definitely smaller than or equal to 0x400. If you don't do packet forwarding
> >between fxp interfaces, use the defaults.
>
> Thanks!  This is for a router pushing upwards of 20Mb/s with about 110K
> routes on 4 interfaces. I will try and experiment a bit on my test setup
> first to see what works best.

Nice - I'd be glad if you let us know the details after you complete the
experiments. Probably you could try tweaking the BUNDLE_MAX as well, if it is
supported by your fxp chipset - on my cards it is not, unfortunately. If you
experience high traffic volumes, than having BUNDLE_MAX restricted to only 6 frames
(default) can be somewhat unnecessary limitating.

Marko