Date:      Fri, 15 Feb 2002 20:58:23 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DMA on ATAPI CD's [ Was Re: About printers ]

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 11:10:55AM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 19:58:50 +0100
> > From: Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
> > Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

> > > On almost all systems you really want to add hw.ata.atapi_dma="1" to
> > > /boot/loader.conf to enable DMA on ATAPI devices.
> > >
> > > The reason it is disabled by default is that some early ATAPI
> > > controllers did not work correctly (at all) in DMA mode. Since it is
> > > considered critical that CDs be accessible from the GENERIC kernel to
> > > do the initial installation, all ATAPI access had to default to PIO.
> > >
> > > The only way to be sure about this is to turn on DMA and see of the CD
> > > works. (It almost certainly will.)
> > >
> > > This is a parameter that must be set before the ATA driver is started,
> > > so it cannot be put in sysctl.conf. It must be in /boot/loader.conf.
> > >
> > I think this is incorrect, it can be put in sysctl.conf, and I believe
> > it works if you do it as I stated.
>
> When I try this I get:
> sysctl: oid 'hw.ata.atapi_dma' is read only

Mmm. Now I am confused (what's new ?).
What I do, is as stated in my post, is to adjust the parameter
hw.atamodes to enable dma on the ide devices. What you are saying,
or demonstrating, is the adjustment of the hw.ata.atapi_dma, variable
cannot be done except at boot time. Now I am a bit confused about the
relationship between these two variables. I am under the impression that
what I do enables DMA on the said devices (I see no reason why it cannot
be dynamically changed)..but doing what you suggest does indeed show up
in dmesg as the CD devices using DMA instead of PIO ) I just tried it.

So maybe I am under a false impression here, but a sysctl -a does show
what I do as being accepted. So the question remains, am I under a false
impression that what I do has any effect whatsoever ? It certainly does
not generate a syslog message when I change them..is there any other way
to tell ?

Mmm.

--
Regards