Date:      Fri, 3 Oct 1997 15:16:17 +0200
From:      Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/devel/ilu - Imported sources

[Moved to -ports]

In <199710030919.CAA15193@silvia.HIP.Berkeley.EDU>, Satoshi Asami wrote:
>  *   Xerox PARC's ILU system, a Corba-compatible multi-language
>  *   distributed object system.
>
> Have you tried building this on a machine with guile installed?  Over
> here, it got stuck at

Arg, I didn't notice the guile from the ports collection is
outdated. While it builds fine with and without guile for me, I have
guile-1.2 installed.

I got a similar report from a user with a (I think) outdated python
interpreter (while the python port is current enough for ILU).

The problem here is that ilu's configure script includes support for
languages if it finds the main interpreter, but doesn't check any
further to see if the version is right, the header files are found
etc.

> If it does work with guile, that's fine, but please add *_DEPENDS to
> the Makefile in that case.  (Otherwise we might ship packages that
> depend on guile but without the necessary dependency information.)

That would be the wrong thing. ILU builds fine without guile/python. A
binary package built with support for them still works fine for C and
C++ on a system without guile and python.

> I guess you probably want to just disable that check though.

I disabled guile in configure options and added a note for those with
1.2 installed. I left python support because the python port is for a
version that works.

I'll see if I can add bettter checks to ILU's configure. I could take
care for the guile port as well, but guile-iii does some things
guile-1.2 doesn't, so I have to check back with the users before.

After all, I expected more trouble with this port :-)

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org> http://www.cons.org/cracauer