Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 02:26:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        green@FreeBSD.ORG (Brian Fundakowski Feldman)
Cc:        ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new IPFW

> I've finally sat myself down to take the first step in getting the new
> IPFW done.  I'll start by listing some of the different ideas I've had,
... [and lots more good stuff cut to make this short and to the point]...

> And this would be the object-oriented architecture part.
>
> I'm going to wrap this up since I'm up quite late (well, only 1:30, but
> I'm still a growing person...), and I don't want to start to get too
> incoherent.  Thank you for your time and attention with my IPFW ideas,
> and please send comments and ideas to me;  heck, I'd love to start
> a long discussion about this, so we can flesh everything out :)

Have you looked at or though about using the bpf routines in the
kernel?  bpf match rules are very powerful, compile to some pretty
fast code, and the code is already written, and it knows about a lot
more than just IP.

After all, they are probably the ``oldest'' set of filter routines
we have, they have just never been reused to do firewall type stuff
with.  The fcode engine even has a jump, though all jumps must be
forward in the fcode, but this is no more restrictive than the current
firewall rule ``skipto'' operation.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net