Date:      Sat, 9 Sep 2000 18:37:21 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        bentley <bentley3@mediaone.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: xterm editing & recompiling...

On Sat, Sep 09, 2000 at 01:07:52PM -0400, bentley wrote:
> is this the right place to write in a question for  a recompile of
> xterm?
> i don't know anything about unix...i only know that the xterm/s white
> back ground is irritating my eyes.
> and i don't want to keep typing in
>     1 )    [xterm -bg grey -fg black]
>
> i know  that under
>     1)    usr/ports/x11/xtermset
> there are files that would let me possibly edit the source code
> & reompile this program with the desired effects mentioned above.  am i
> in the right area?  & it shouldn't be hard right?  i just have to look
> for that line of code in the source code?
>
> goal here is:
>     1)    just the directory (and location of it) so i can get there.
>     2)     how exactly (basic terms) does a newbie with no experience in
> editing / scripting / coding make
>             make this work?  i don't need detailed ideas or anything.
> ... i mean...which editor.  basically.
>             because then i would just save it, & recompile.  i imagine.

Just add:

XTerm*Background: <colour>
XTerm*Foreground: <colour>

to your ~/.Xdefaults or ~/.Xsession file. Valid colour names can be
found in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb.txt

You can, IIRC, use a numeric value for <colour>. I'm not sure of the
exact format but probably #xxyyzz where xx, yy, and zz are RGB values
in hex (0x0 - 0xff).

HTH

> hodgepodge

		4.4 - The number of the Beastie