Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 1995 23:19:13 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Syscons and IBM ThinkPads

As Terry Lambert wrote:

> Since we're in a quoting mood:
>
> ''The PS/2 offers yet a third alternative.  Scan code set 3 ...

What do you wanna tell by this?

> Well, it's entirely possible to cook the scan code 2's into scan code
> 1's for the benefit of X.  Really, you want to cook everything into
> single code key down, single code key up (up == down | 0x80) and then
> cook back from there.  This may be higher overhead, but then again,
> keyboard input is hardly taxing on system resources.

Most problems will happen with the `weird' keys (those, that happened
to be key combinations on the XT), and believe me, not all keyboards
do generate identical scan code sequences.  You've perhaps noticed the
program `kbdio' in pcvt -- it's a hacker's tool i've needed to analyze
different keyboards around.

If you'd like to learn about some weird sequences, i could dig out
some ancient email conversation with Hellmuth...

> It's unclear from the text whether one can rely on scan code set 3
> existing for every instance where scan code set 1 is not supported.

I think it is.  All modern MF-II keyboards appear to support scan set
3.

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/